International License Ripoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International License Ripoff

If you're planning to go overseas, it's recommended you get an an International license. You don't need one to rent a car, but if you get stopped by the police, you're supposed to present it.
    The joke is you pay $20 for a "license" that requires no expertise or knowledge to get, but they take a picture of you and they stamp it five times to make it look nice and official. Not sure who's behind the grift. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_104020674.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	3536
    Phase 0, 4C Coils, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter, Corza Forza Fazool Fizzle Fazzle

I'm not sure that would be valid anywhere? You're better off with your US issued drivers license and your passport I would think.

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...Driving_Permit

Comment

Originally posted by texanbrit View Post
        I'm not sure that would be valid anywhere? You're better off with your US issued drivers license and your passport I would think.
        Someone told me I needed one, which I scoffed at, because I've driven overseas plenty of times before. But some travel websites seem to think it's a necessity, so i went to the local AAA office and got it.

How this is supposed to prove anything besides a State issued license is beyond me. but...
        Phase 0, 4C Coils, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter, Corza Forza Fazool Fizzle Fazzle

Comment

The AAA IDL is legit. Looks to me like it is some compliance to an antiquated law... Check with the country you are visiting though to see what exactly THEY require. Most accept the AAA, some want to also see your photo ID along with it for identification.

If anyone wants more than $20 for an IDL, or to be honest if it comes from any organization other than AAA or AATA, then it's probably a scam. Those are the only two organizations listed on FTC.GOV as authorized to issue an IDL.

Comment

It does remind me of the first time I got pulled over in Texas. I was just visiting at the time. After the State Trooper spent a few minutes unfolding my British driving license (which at that time as a letter sized, double sided document folded into a "convenient" size) he sighed and sent me on my way.

Comment

Originally posted by texanbrit View Post
              It does remind me of the first time I got pulled over in Texas. I was just visiting at the time. After the State Trooper spent a few minutes unfolding my British driving license (which at that time as a letter sized, double sided document folded into a "convenient" size) he sighed and sent me on my way.
              Forgive him. He couldn't read "English."

Comment

Working...
              X