• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive Journalism Summed Up With One Car

The Fiat 124 is resurrected. The media weighs in:

" I dunno, the Fiat engine is like, uh..."

"I think the MX5 is a better choice."

"Nah, the MX5 came out ahead in our comparison test."

"Hey, remember "Fix It Again Tony?" Funny, right? Is that funny or what?

Fiat CEO announces in interview there will be no Second Gen 124:

"The nation is losing an affordable sports car."

"This is is sad moment for all true enthusiasts."

"An enormous tragedy for those who love cars"

Bite me.
    Phase 0, 4C Coils, Front & Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter, Defi Boost Gauge, Corza Forza Fazool Fizzle Fazzle

On these articles I'm dumbfounded by the number of people who want to swap the miata engine into the 124... why??? I think they believe it's going to blow up or something? Or they're just going on peak hp numbers on paper and never plan on modding? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd103 View Post
      On these articles I'm dumbfounded by the number of people who want to swap the miata engine into the 124... why??? I think they believe it's going to blow up or something? Or they're just going on peak hp numbers on paper and never plan on modding? I don't get it.
      Blame Fiat for not lifting a finger to combat their quality reputation. Compared to the Mini, this would be like shooting fish in a barrel. We all know how stout the engine is. By today's standards, it's OVERBUILT..

Get a load of THIS bias from Motor Trend:

"The first of the two unplanned stops was at the tire shop for a nail in the tread, hardly Alfa-specific. The second we initiated ourselves, not because there was anything wrong with the car, but because with 17,000 or so miles on the clock it didn't feel fair to put it in a head-to-head comparison with a brand spankin' new BMW 330i M Sport without at least a checkup. While giving it a once-over, the tech found the only mechanical issue of the car's life to date: a tiny coolant leak weeping from the turbocharger we were unaware of. A new O-ring on the coolant inlet is all it needed, but the tech did the coolant outlet O-ring, too, just to be safe, and the whole thing was covered under warranty.

A recall was also performed free of charge during the first service to prevent backfiring, an issue we never experienced.

At $469.55, the maintenance wasn't cheap, but it still cost less than our
      2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro for the same service ($561.36 for two oil changes and inspections). On the other hand, our 2012 BMW 328i Sport didn't cost a dime in maintenance because BMW throws that in for free the first three years or 36,000 miles. Then again, that BMW's entire steering rack failed and had to be replaced at 14,500 miles."

Are you f**king kidding me? Imagine if the situation were reversed: the Alfa's steering rack fails and it's the BMW that has the leaking O-ring. They would jump down Alfa's throat in a nanosecond. With a BMW, all is forgiven.

Unless FCA starts kicking some people in the teeth and hitting back, the value of these cars will suffer along with the franchise licenses and the aftermarket.
      Phase 0, 4C Coils, Front & Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter, Defi Boost Gauge, Corza Forza Fazool Fizzle Fazzle

Comment

yeah the one thing is the reputation gives us some killer deals on the used market, but at this point I'm really concerned about the survival of the brand. People don't want to believe the truth that these cars are indeed overbuilt and at least as reliable as your average vehicle, all while being driven way harder.

Comment

Working...
        X